Friday, April 29, 2011

Did Jesus come to England?

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
- William Blake

Gillian.E. Shaw wrote:
This poem was written about the Industrial Revolution that took place during the early 19th century. The first verse asks did Christ visit Britain. This may be metaphorical or literal. There is an old English legend that Christ came to Britain as a boy.

The poet questions Christianity in Britain (2nd verse) and illustrates the point by using the adjective 'satanic' when describing the industrial mills. (In the North of Britain at this time many people; men, women and children, worked in the cotton industry.) This clearly gives the impression that the poet thinks the mills are evil places.

In the final two verses he poet summons up his faith and reveals he will not rest until there is justice in society.
This is a beautifully written poem and is sometimes used as a national anthem.

(L. This song was sung at the Royal Wedding today of William and Kate. It was wonderful to see the respect for Christianity. The name of Jesus Christ was spoken often during the service. I'm afraid our country would not acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ as England has done today. This is sad for us, isn't it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment