Thursday, June 25, 2009

Christianity is a Person...

Written by Andrée Seu June 25, 7:31 AM

I am scheduled to have an MRI for a suspicious mammogram.

It clears the sinuses.

What it does for me in particular is cause me to lose total interest, very suddenly, in any notion of Christianity as a good moral code or religion.

As the preacher Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) wrote in Authentic Christianity:
“The fundamental thing is that Christianity is about Jesus. . . . Christianity is not a teaching—it is a person. . . . The Lord Jesus Christ was the theme of the preaching of the early church. . . . This is the tragic thing that has been forgotten at the present time. ‘What we need,’ people say, ‘is the application of his teaching.’ But it is not. What you need is to know him and to come into relationship with him. . . .”

That is what the Apostle to the Gentiles, the Apostle Paul, expresses so many times in his letters to the saints:

To the Corinthians: "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2).

To the Philippians: "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ" (Philippians 3:7-8).

To the Ephesians: "But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted...edifying of itself in love" (Ephesians 4:15-16).

To the Galatians: "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world" (Galatians 6:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment