Friday, September 25, 2009

I bowdlerize

bowdlerize (BOAD-luh-ryz) MEANING: verb tr.: To remove or change parts (of a book, play, movie, etc.) considered objectionable.

ETYMOLOGY:
After Thomas Bowdler (1754-1825), a British doctor, who edited the Family Shakespeare, an expurgated edition of William Shakespeare's works. Bowdler believed the original wasn't suitable for the delicate sensibilities of women and children. He also edited other books, such as Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and the Old Testament in a similar manner.

L.
I like watching some movies on TV as they remove the smut, and I have been ashamed at some movies I have recommended after viewing the DVD and hearing the language used. I wish I could bowdlerize "Titanic" (it is way too long and the erotic scenes spoil the movie for family viewing), also "Toy Story" (Sid Vicious is too scary even for me!).

Oh, well, it's art you know. And instead of self-editing, in which I do object, (Mr. Bowdler edited the Old Testament in his misguided zeal!), perhaps it is best to push the OFF button instead.

Do you, or would you bowdlerize too?

No comments:

Post a Comment