Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Have I forgotten?

- If I can’t forgive then I have forgotten where I came from. I did not deserve to be forgiven by a Holy God, but I was.

- When I look with disdain at another person I have forgotten where I came from. That person is made in the image of God and deserves my respect.

- When I don’t accept another brother or sister I have forgotten that I was unacceptable to a Holy God. Jesus said you are acceptable because of Me. We must offer the same grace because of Jesus.

- When I can’t serve without expectation of personal return I have forgotten where I came from. If I remember where I came from I will serve because I am grateful for what Christ did for me.

- When I don’t give joyfully of my time and treasure I have forgotten where I came from. If you truly understand where you came from the natural response is to serve Him joyfully.

I don’t want to forget where I came from both as a person and as a child of God. My small town roots are a big part of who I am. And my encounter with grace at the foot of the Cross defines who I am spiritually. I pray that I will remember every day who I am and where Jesus brought me from.

“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
--C. S. Lewis

(From Dave Burchett, World Magazine article.)

No comments:

Post a Comment