Sunday, April 5, 2009

The World's Prince

(Satan's dialogue from the movie, The Devil's Advocate. Al Pacino played the part of His Infernal Majesty, i.e. the Devil.)

"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven, is that it?--

Why not? I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began. I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist. "

From One Cosmos:

What can one say about the archfiend that hasn't already been better said by Dante, Milton, Shakespeare, or Al Pacino? Now first of all, the Serpent is a genial fellow who is always willing to "work with us." After all, he is the prince of this world -- a man of wealth and taste, a cultured man, an aesthete and silver-tongued littérateur. He never forces the issue, but meets us where we are and presents us with what he calls "options," but we call supreme "temptations." He is a seducer and flatterer, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment