Friday, March 5, 2010

Give me patience ...

by Esther Homoki (now at home with the Lord)

"…to never relax the self-watch. Never to indulge in unkind or thoughtless criticism of others. Never to utter the hasty word, or permit the sharp retorts; never to complain, except to God; never to permit hard and distrustful thoughts to lodge within the soul; to always be more thoughtful of others than of self; to detect the one blue spot in the clouded sky; to be on the alert to find an excuse for those who are forward and awkward; to suffer the aches and pains, the privations and trials of life sweetly, submissively, trustfully; to drink the bitter cup with the eyes fixed on the Father’s face, without a murmur or complaint. We cannot live such a life till we have learned to avail ourselves of the riches of the indwelling Christ."


I chose to print this in The Grace Messenger. My sister read it in her Bible study group and she said they all laughed incredulously that anyone could live up to such a high standard. I was convicted that maybe the statement was too lofty for mere mortals to aspire, but many times Esther’s words have come back to me.

The key I believe is the last line: We cannot live such a life till we have learned to avail ourselves of the riches of the indwelling Christ.

I love Esther’s words, and though I fail, they still ring true to what I want to attain to in my walk, in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment