Thursday, March 19, 2009

Psalm 6 Through Grace Eyes

Psalm 6 A Psalm of David - BC 1034

O LORD, rebuke me not in Thine anger, neither chasten me in Thy hot displeasure.
1 Corinthians 11.31.32 “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.”
Self-judgment avoids chastisement. If neglected, the Lord judges us, and the result is chastisement, but never condemnation to those “in Christ”.

Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed. My soul is also sore vexed: but Thou, O LORD, how long?
2 Thessalonians 2.16-17, “Now our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.”
How long can we endure? In this age of grace we have everlasting consolation, and continuing good hope through grace.

Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for Thy mercies’ sake.
Ephesians 1.6, “To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the Beloved.”
Ephesians 2.7-8 “That in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”
God has (past tense) accomplished salvation for anyone who puts their trust in Him, as a gift of His wonderful grace.

For in death there is no remembrance of Thee: in the grave who shall give Thee thanks?
The contrast is between the grave or life on earth. It is not speaking about the conscious life after death of the body but simply stating that only the living can publicly give thanks to God here on earth.

I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies. Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping. The LORD hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.
Scripture connects these verses with our Savior. Many of the Psalms allow us to look into His inner being as He walked this earth. He is the GOD-MAN which we cannot fully understand. Being God, yet being tired and hungry, feeling the pain of rejection and poverty—Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem Him stricken, smitten of God and afflicted.” (Isaiah 53:4)
Hebrews 5.7, Christ, “Who in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto Him that was able to save Him from death, and was heard in the He feared;”
Hebrews 5.7 is the key to understanding many of the Psalms, i.e. Messiah suffering and identifying with His people. Always follow Hebrews 5.7 with Hebrews 12.2:
"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
God does hear our groaning. 2 Corinthians 12.9, “For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
We can be confident that the Lord hears our prayers and He has promised grace sufficient for our every need.

Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.
I Thessalonians 5.3, “For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.”
Judgment and justice is coming to this world. No one will escape. Today is the day of grace and peace, it is the day of God holding back His judgment, it is the day of salvation. May we all by faith have taken God’s mercy and grace and so will not be under His judgment.

Psalm 6 is a wonderful song. May it bless your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment